packH2O also had some very interesting facts on their website, which really solidifies how large this problem truly is. I am very impressed with their design and can only image how big of an impact packH2O has already had on the people they’ve helped. So from one innovator to another, thank you.
Excerpt from packH20’s website:
Top Ten Things You Need to Know
- Currently, more than 1 billion people have no access to safe water for personal requirements.
- 4,900 children under the age of 5 die per day due to water and sanitation problems.
- 30,000 people die every week from diseases caused by unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions.
- Women in water-stressed regions walk on average 3.5 miles everyday to get water to their homes.
- A five-minute shower in America uses more water than the average person in a slum in a developing country uses throughout an entire day.
- 1 in 9 people do not have access to an improved water source.
- In developing countries, dirty water is a greater threat to human safety than violent conflict.
- Dripping faucets in developed countries lose more water than is available each day to more than 1 billion people.
- By 2025, close to 3 billion people will live in water scarce regions of the world.
- Water and sanitation are some of the most powerful preventive medicines available to governments to reduce infectious disease.