First we drew a schematic for the pattern of the vest.
We then experimented with the materials. This is a shower curtain that we used the industrial heat sealer to seal edges of the plastic. We then filled the compartment with water and sealed the final edge to create a packet of water. This proved out our concept of materials and technique.
We then met to complete the final design of the template.
We started to construct the template using a safety vest as a pattern.
We cut out a pattern of the construction safety vest with a utility knife.
We used the heat sealer to start to connect and melt the two edges of the pattern cut out of the shower curtain material together.
We then needed to make an opening for the water to be collected into the vest.
With this amount of water, the vest was pretty heavy.
Phil put the vest on for demonstration. He even danced. For footage, see https://design4innov8.com/2013/11/22/mock-up-1-video/