After Ryan’s mold making workshop a couple of weeks ago, I began to think more about mold making as a way to prototype, given metal 3D printing is a bit cost and time prohibitive given our course coming to an end so soon. I began looking into ways to cast metal at home which my […]Read more "Silicone Mold Making & Chocolate Cane Handles – Experiment 1"
Due to software updates of both Rhino & Grasshopper, the tutorial I found for a Voronoi cylinder didn’t work out perfectly, as hoped. I got almost done to the point where it was time to wrap the Voronoi plane around a cylinder, but due to some coding mismatches, it wasn’t possibly. Luckily, Ryan saved the […]Read more "Initial 3D Prototype & Voronoi Cylinder Tutorial in Grasshopper w/ Rhino 3D"
Elizabeth and Phil met at the studio to work on alternative materials (space bags) for our new prototype using the industrial seam press machine. Our previous prototype #3 materials choice were nylon shower curtain for its’ waterproof and elasticity properties. However, with curtain being single ply layer sheet, we need to fold and seal all […]Read more "Mock-Up #2: Ziploc Space Bag Vest Process"
First we drew a schematic for the pattern of the vest. We then experimented with the materials. This is a shower curtain that we used the industrial heat sealer to seal edges of the plastic. We then filled the compartment with water and sealed the final edge to create a packet of water. This […]Read more "Mock-up #1: Shower Curtain Vest Video"
The one of the primary attributes of the measuring cup that we are re-designing is the collapsibility. When contemplating the collapsible functionality, I wanted to explore different fold patterns that would produce a collapsible effect. I started with a square to reproduce a complicated fold pattern I discovered on line. The online version had a […]Read more "Pre-Mock-Up #2: Collapsability with Buckram & a Laser Cutter"